What do the Scriptures teach us about itself?
- The light of nature and the works of creation and providence reflect God so as to leave men inexcusable (a).
- However, this knowledge is not sufficient to lead us to Christ for salvation (b).
- Therefore, God, in various ways, has revealed his will to his church during the course of history(c).
- For this revealed knowledge to be better preserved, God has caused it to be put in writing(d).
- Thus, the Scriptures(the written account of God’s revelation) are now very important, since those various means of revelation have now ceased(e).
- The Bible comprises the 66 books we have from Genesis to Revelation (39 in the Old Testament, and 27 in the New) and are given by God’s inspiration(f).
- The Bible does not derive its authority from either a person or the Church, but from God Himself, who is the author(g).
- Believers are fully persuaded that the Bible is God’s word because the Holy Spirit inwardly assures of its truth in their hearts(h).
- All that we need to know in order to glorify God , for salvation, faith and life have been set down in the Bible. These may be plainly taught in it or logically inferred from it(i).
- Nevertheless, we need the aid of the Holy Spirit to fully understand the contents of the Scriptures(j).
- Not everything in the Bible is equally clear. However, what we need to know and believe in order to be saved have been clearly set out in it(k).
- The Bible interprets itself. Therefore, an unclear passage is to be understood by means of a clearer one(l).
- The Holy Spirit, speaking through the Bible, is our supreme judge in all spiritual and religious matters or disputes(m).
(a) Rom. 2:14, 15; Rom. 1:19, 20; Ps. 19:1, 2, 3; Rom. 1:32, with chap. 2:1.
(b) I Cor. 1:21; I Cor. 2:13, 14.
(c) Heb. 1:1.
(d) Prov. 22:19, 20, 21; Luke 1:3, 4; Rom. 15:4; Matt. 4:4, 7, 10; Isa. 8:19, 20.
(e) Heb. 1:1, 2.
(f) Luke 16:29, 31; Eph. 2:20; Rev. 22:18, 19; II Tim. 3:16.
(g) II Pet. 1:19, 21; II Tim. 3:16; I John 5:9; I Thess. 2:13.
(h) I John 2:20, 27; John 16:13, 14; I Cor. 2:10, 11, 12; Isa. 59:21.
(i) II Tim. 3:15, 16, 17; Gal. 1:8, 9; II Thess. 2:2.
(j) John 6:45, I Cor. 2:9 to 12.
(k) Psalm 119:105, 130.
(l) II Pet. 1:20, 21; Acts 15:15, 16.
(m) Matt. 22:29, 31; Eph. 2:20 with Acts 28:25.
One Comment Add yours